Sunday, April 28, 2013

"WHISPERING WIND"




“Whispering Wind”
Artist: Sally Watson

Exhibition opens: Saturday 11 April at 2pm
Exhibition runs: 11 April – 9 June 2013

Jayes Gallery is pleased to be able to provide this opportunity to such a wonderful and inspiring artist.  This will be Sally’s second solo exhibition at the gallery. Meditation, Zen and solitude influence Sally’s work. Her images are abstracted, defining a move away from representational art.

Sally also has fifteen years experience working as a graphic designer and illustrator for Nature and Health Magazine, the Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney, The Department of Conservation and Land Management, Perth, The Western Australian Museum, City of Fremantle WA and the Bureau of Flora and Fauna.

This exhibition will delight the viewer and collector alike.

ARTIST STATEMENT (Sally Watson):


Whispering Wind is symbolic for me of all the things which clear my mind and bring me to the present moment without thinking about the past or future. Drawing puts me in a meditative state and I would like my drawings to express the peace and happiness I experience then. These works are inspired by play and returning to the beautiful garden of my childhood, my sanctuary and source of renewal.

I am not seeking a literal representation, rather a free interpretation of noticeable colours, shapes and thoughts which occur. Someone looking at one of my drawings may become absorbed with the image and for a short space of time their mind slows, they contemplate the work, a few moments pass and a gap in the busy day occurs. Like a deep breath of fresh air. The viewer decides what is going on in the work in front of them. Ultimately I would rather give the viewer the experience of a quiet mind than to fill it with images. I try to create works which are an antidote to the stresses of life.

Visual strategies I use are spontaneous marks and a limited palette working with pastels, watercolours and charcoal. For many works I have mounted quality paper such as Fabriano Accademia onto stretched canvas because I like being able to see the surface and textures without glass reflections obscuring the view.

All are welcome to the opening. See you on the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment